Saturday, March 14, 2009

Vigie Beach!

I was finally able to make it to a beach! Today I got together with a few other trainees near the market. We picked up some snacks and then grabbed a bus ride to Vigie beach. It was a long curved beach in a bay and it was wonderful. I expected no waves but we even had waves. We walked down a little ways until we found a nice spot. I hooked up my hammock on what I found out was an almond tree. We shared snacks and drinks. We walked all along the beach. We played in the water. We took pictures (until my camera batteries all died… again). And of course… I'm a little burnt… I've just been christened by the Caribbean sun that's all. But it was such a relaxing day. We spent almost 5 hours just chatting and reading and relaxing.

It was nice to get away from the training chaos… even though I did spend part of the morning doing my kweyol assignment in the market. This week we have 3 days in the PC office and only 2 days doing school/shadowing stuff. So I won't get into the Red Cross this week. We are probably going to be getting started on our "activities"/projects this week. Our youth development trainer is having us design little service learning projects to implement in our schools or organizations. It's kinda stressful trying to figure out what to do and how to go about it. We don't have much time. We will also be starting a community-mapping project… which I think is gathering info from people in our community about everything that's going on. It's intimidating to think about all this stuff coming up. We only have about a month left of training!

Some of the other trainees have already heard things about the apartments they will be moving into. So far I haven't heard anything. I'm eager to see where it will be and what it will be like… what buses I will have to take… how close the markets are… etc etc. After training I will have more freedom with my schedule too and I will be able to spend more time at the Red Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment