The Adventure Begins!!
So I have arrived!! I am currently sitting in a convent where we will be staying for the next 6 nights. And surprisingly they have wireless! Training hasn’t quite started yet; we have the evening to get a little settled.
Already I have learned a few things:
- Sometimes there can be water outages of around 15 days (plus or minus)… depending on your community
- Power outages can also be an issue
- Transportation is not as easy as you might think… our ride from the airport in the south to the place we are staying in the north took 1 hour! (a brutal ride for our full bladders!) Volunteers may not come to town but once or twice a month. The roads are really really curvy and mountainous... and rough
- Both the Pitons (mountains on the island) are hike-able!! So I will definitely be looking for opportunities for that!
- Mt. Gimie… is pronounced Mt. Jimie J good to know (I will also be hiking that)
- We are actually considered Trainees until we are sworn in (April), then we are Volunteers
- Most of the other Trainees have the same fears I do… what do ya know!
- Internet will be scarce depending on my community… so I will do my best for you all!
Well I am pretty exhausted. I’m gonna go get settled and get some rest. I love you all!!