Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rain Rain Rain...

I arrived at the Red Cross this morning at around 8:45 just as it began to sprinkle. Shortly after I settled in the office it began to pour and it has not stopped since. The playing field by the office is one giant puddle. The street is basically a river. And the school I was supposed to visit today cancelled our meeting so that the children could make there way home right after school. And of course, Jazz Festival events are sorta on hold. The mountains beyond town have disappeared into a thick white haze and the ocean is looking dark and choppy. It's amazing, I don't think I've ever seen this much rain before.

The Red Cross has been having emergency meetings about the flooding situations and also meetings about the coming hurricane season. Part of me is excited to see what the weather gets like. I like rain... and storms. But really I like them when I can stay inside and read or when it's appropriate for me to run outside and play. Here I have to keep working, which is really gonna stink. I'll be attempting to trudge through puddles while keeping dry pants and clean shoes, which is impossible. And all my clothes are gonna smell mildewy because nothing will ever dry. And most of all, I'll be sleepy because rainy days just make people feel that way....

No comments:

Post a Comment